Can be a tricky concept in this day and age with hearsay and jaded media reports. So here at India.com, we chose to break down what Islam means and 10 Facts About Islam You Didn’t Know.
10 Facts About Islam You Didn’t Know
1. “Islam” is an Arabic word means peace, security, and surrender. Islam is a monotheistic religion.
2. Anousheh Ansari was the first Muslim lady in space. Ansari attended George Washington University for her Master’s degree and George Mason University for undergrad. Other famous Muslims in America include: Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Dr. Oz, Fareed Zakaria, Aasif Mandvi, Akon, Malcolm X, Dave Chappelle, Ice Cube, T-Pain, Shirin Ebadi, Muhammad Ali, Salman Rushdie, Cat Stevens, Zayn Malik, Hasan Minhaj, Shaq, Janet Jackson, Ellen Burstyn, Lupe Fiasco, Iman, Hakeem Olajuwon, Mike Tyson, Jermaine Jackson, Busta Rhymes, Most Def, and Faran Tahir.
3. Indonesia is the nation with the largest number of Muslims: 170.3 million. Worldwide, there are 1.6 billion Muslims.
4. “Qur’an” means recitation in Arabic. It contains the teachings and story of the chief prophet of Islam and is the holy book for Muslims. The Qur’an is largely written in Arabic but contains some expressions in Hebrew and Syrian.
5. Allah has 99 names with all name having a meaning–some of the names include Ar-Rahman, Al-Jabbar, and Al-Aziz.
6. Islam is a family oriented religion. The way is through community and family, so friends, parents, and neighbors play a part in teaching children.
7. Muslims will follow the lunar calendar (also referred to as Hijri) and celebrate holidays like Ramadan and Eid. Ramadan is the ninth month of this year and is meant to boost self-control in most aspects of life such as sleeping, food, and sometimes even sex. This implies that Muslims can’t eat or drink anything from sunrise nor can they participate in activities. Observing Ramadan changes year by year on the calendar dependent on the sighting of the moon that is new.
8. There are two chief sects of Islam: Sunni and Shiite, most Muslims today are Sunni. Shia Muslims are the majority several countries including in Bahrain, Iran, Iraq.
9. “Jihad” does not mean violence, but rather is a directive for Muslims to study, preach, and defend Islam, which was defined by Imam Raghib.
10. Muslims can eat meat that’s thought to be Halal. Halal is Arabic for permissible or okay. According to BBC, Halal refers to the Islamic slaughtering animals which include a cut to the jugular vein, carotid artery, and windpipe. The animals have to be alive, awake, and healthy at the time of slaughter. A Muslim will recite a prayer. Foods Muslims cannot eat in general any animal that is carnivorous and pork. Foods which are considered haram also can’t be eaten.
For those who have questions about Islam or are curious about your friends, the best way to understand them and their religion is to ask. There are a Lot More facts than this list By starting a conversation; you’re able to learn. Like people of different faiths, each Muslim, have levels and their understandings. You can dispel any misunderstandings by engaging in a conversation. You can pay a visit to a local center or go to with a mosque to learn more.
Thats all about 10 Facts About Islam You Didn’t Know. May Allah always guide us.